New Mythology Quiz

Image
Follow Artemis, the goddess of the hunt, into the mythic woods and help her save her animals by answering related questions about her! The more you score, the higher your position will be on the  game's  leaderboard . Click here to play the game !

The New Acropolis Museum- Athens' Pride and Joy

Today I finally found the time to treat myself with a walk in the finest part of Athens, the Plaka. My destination was my long awaited dream, the Acropolis Museum, the new highlight of Athens, majestically located at the foot of the Acropolis.

Well, I was prepared to see something extraordinary, but what I saw surpassed all expectations. I can say, the Museum is simply breathtaking. The building is huge (226,000 square feet - 10 times larger than the old museum), ultra-modern, full of light and incredibly clean! It displays the Parthenon sculptures, reliefs and artifacts as well as other finds from the Acropolis hill, reflecting the religious beliefs, the standards and the daily life of the Ancient Greeks. Another great highlight is that, right under your feet, you can see excavations through the glass floor-panels. It's a strange feeling which I really enjoyed.

Should you ever happen to visit Athens, I think it's the first place you should consider for a visit. You will be stunned. You won't miss it, it is right at the center, and the ticket costs only €1 until 2010.

But beware, the museum is huge! So, in case your feet start complaining after so much culture you may have a seat at the museum's cafeteria, with a wonderful view of the Acropolis, or educate yourself in the multimedia room.

Well, I could go on writing about it for hours- but, since a picture is worth a thousand words, enjoy a slideshow with pictures of the Museum from the New York Times .

Anyway, for me, it was a wonderful experience which filled me with pride...and I can only hope that time comes soon when the British Museum finally, returns our marble sculptures in its rightful place. (In 1817, Lord Elgin, a British Ambassador, removed much of the sculpture from the Acropolis, while Greece was under the rule of the Ottoman Empire and took them to his home country. Right now, they are housed at the British Museum). To quote Razia Iqbal, BBC arts correspondent: "The structure is Greece's answer to the British argument that there is nowhere in their country to house the Elgin marbles".

Comments

Anonymous said…
there are tons of greek stuff in the museum of london, here is a funny joke about greek mythology
Asteria Nike said…
That sounds so amazing!!! Aww now I'm going to have to find a way to get there...damn, only half the world away :)

Popular posts from this blog

Pronunciation of the Greek Gods and Heroes

Mythology Quiz online!